Author Topic: Clive Palmer vs The FFA  (Read 40941 times)

Offline Nat11

• SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 45
Re: Clive Palmer vs The FFA
« Reply #675 on: March 02, 2012, 11:48:13 AM »
I don't believe in the whole Palmer v Lowy talk. It's Palmer v Football.

The best thing about yesterday it seemed to united most football people against Palmer, finally. Even those with strong anti FFA agendas couldn't buy into his latest rubbish.

I hope the FFA finds some way to sue him for damages to the league / FFA / Buckley / Lowy etc. He could fund the league afterall!

Would certainly be a great result!

Offline drnick0

• SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 43

Offline Moller

• SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 515
« Reply #677 on: March 02, 2012, 11:58:39 AM »
Bloody hell - 2 weeks ago.
I hope that is being RTed ad nauseam right now.
Can't Smile Without You

Offline benji

• Sydney FC Fanatic
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #678 on: March 02, 2012, 12:05:07 PM »
10am court listing has been deferred to 3pm this afternoon (4pm Sydney time).

Riversmouth FC

« Reply #679 on: March 02, 2012, 12:46:28 PM »
Did I hear right, that Anna Bligh gave him a serve in the media?? maybe I dreamt it...

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8427983

Ms Bligh says it's a shame for the coast's soccer fans, but she's not surprised.

"Mr Palmer is a colourful character," she told reporters near Longreach on Thursday.

"He likes to live pretty rough and tumble. I have been on the receiving end of Mr Palmer's legal actions. We now find other people will be.

"I think people will be very disappointed, I know how much they supported their team and I think it is a great pity that it has come to this."

Ms Bligh said Mr Palmer, a supporter of the LNP, would only become more prominent if the party won the March 24 election.

"But frankly people need to be aware that if you have an LNP government in Queensland you are going to see a lot more of Clive Palmer and a lot more of these kinds of antics," she said.

Offline Sydneyfchammer

• Sydney FC Part-Timer
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #680 on: March 02, 2012, 12:53:44 PM »
Apologies if this has already been posted

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/adelaide-chairman-greg-griffin-labels-clive-palmers-breakaway-plans-a-stupid-and-mindless-entity/story-e6frf4gl-1226287050162?from=public_rss

a choice quote purportedly form Adelaide Utd:

..."Palmer ... in a proposed coup d'etat which made Griffin furious.
"I know nothing about it," an angry Griffin said.
"It's a complete nonsense and a waste of everyone's time.
"It will fade as quickly as it has risen. What a stupid and mindless entity and not even the dumbest of dumb would take this entity seriously."

:lol:
"...pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse, playing cricket is not."
 - Keith Miller, Australian Test Cricketer and WW2 RAAF pilot.

Offline slipton

• Sydney Tifo Crew
  • SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #681 on: March 02, 2012, 12:54:03 PM »
Now there's a good political campaign - Don't vote for them, they're mates with Clive Palmer!
Hey careful, man, there's a beverage here!

Offline eff_see

• SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 19
  • Devout Paxist
« Reply #682 on: March 02, 2012, 12:58:38 PM »
Lowy knew what Palmers reaction would be, he went ahead and terminated the licence because his ego got hurt.  Palmer is a c&%t, but then, so is Lowy for letting his ego get in the way of his governance of the game.

He should have waited till the season ended, then dealt with Palmer.

From a legal standpoint, Lowy had to act as soon as GCU had broken their licensing agreement - check Jaza's point earlier. Tom Smithies was elaborating on this yesterday via twitter.

There's more to it. They couldn't afford to leave him with any bargaining power, in case he kept agitating and actually got some of the other owners onside. They had to alienate him ASAP to avoid that.

Ahh, well that all makes sense.  Maybe I need to take my anti-Lowy glasses off for a bit.
Australia.  Champions of Asia.

Offline eff_see

• SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 19
  • Devout Paxist
« Reply #683 on: March 02, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »
Now there's a good political campaign - Don't vote for them, they're mates with Clive Palmer!

Imagine if this becomes a turning point for the QLD election
Australia.  Champions of Asia.

Offline Nat11

• SFCU forum Junkie
« Reply #684 on: March 02, 2012, 01:04:03 PM »

Imagine if this becomes a turning point for the QLD election

Great if both sides try to distance themselves from him. Even better if all 9 a-league owners do as well.

The result of today's injunction will be important.  If he wins it will give him oxygen to keep this dragging on. If he loses hopefully he just quietly fucks off, but who knows what he will try next!

Online Sydney_WACCOE

• SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 1351
« Reply #685 on: March 02, 2012, 01:11:34 PM »
I think Cockers put it perfectly in one paragraph:

Quote from: Michael Cockerill In Today's SMH
If Football Australia - and there are already some doubts whether Palmer even has the authority to the particular trademark - is to be a genuine lobby group, there's nothing wrong with that. The FFA has become complacent, and there are legitimate issues that need to be ventilated. The trouble is, Palmer long ago lost the authority to speak with any credibility on football matters. His own club is stark testament to that.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Offline Duffman

• SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #686 on: March 02, 2012, 01:24:34 PM »
..."Palmer ... in a proposed coup d'etat which made Griffin furious.
"I know nothing about it," an angry Griffin said.
"It's a complete nonsense and a waste of everyone's time.
"It will fade as quickly as it has risen. What a stupid and mindless entity and not even the dumbest of dumb would take this entity seriously."

Need heaps more quotes like this, instead of coverage that treats this retarded circus & its corpulent ringmaster even semi-seriously. It's too insanely stupid to even be funny.
I understand that if any more words come pouring out your c&%t mouth, I'm gonna have to eat every fucking chicken in this room

Offline Sydneyfchammer

• Sydney FC Part-Timer
« Reply #687 on: March 02, 2012, 01:25:44 PM »
Breaking on Fox...Clive has offered the players "non FIFA" contracts for 1 yr at double wages apparently. Looks like FFA and Palmer are battling for the players support prior to the court hearing.  I am enjoying this.

Offline Moller

• SFCU forum Junkie
« Reply #688 on: March 02, 2012, 01:27:16 PM »
Who in their right mind would play in Palmer's rebel league?
He's fucking deluded if he actually thinks he can follow through with his promise of 'international stars'.
Can't Smile Without You

Online Jubal1

• Nemesis for hire, 4 drink minimum.
  • Administrator
  • SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 711
  • Worlds worst motivational speaker
« Reply #689 on: March 02, 2012, 01:30:23 PM »
Breaking on Fox...Clive has offered the players "non FIFA" contracts for 1 yr at double wages apparently. Looks like FFA and Palmer are battling for the players support prior to the court hearing.  I am enjoying this.

Cue PFA support for Palmer in 3...2...1......
7 8 Coaches, 7 CEO's, 5 Chairmen, 1 Cove
AD ASTRA, PER ASPERA

Online Sydney_WACCOE

• SFCU forum Junkie
« Reply #690 on: March 02, 2012, 01:31:28 PM »

Semi-professional players looking for full-time contracts I suppose, and frustrated former NSL clubs looking for something 'more' than what state-league football brings.

Offline SuperJT

• Cove Heights - Original Lurker
  • SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 27
  • Northern Suburbs Crew
« Reply #691 on: March 02, 2012, 01:31:29 PM »
I can see a league being headlined by Kaz Patafta and Ruben Zadkovich.

I reject them. It would be like me leaving Sydney and going to Melbourne Victory. This is something that you cannot do - Vítězslav Lavička

Offline Sydparra

• Smurfing
  • SFCU forum Junkie
« Reply #692 on: March 02, 2012, 01:34:09 PM »
I can see a league being headlined by Kaz Patafta and Ruben Zadkovich.

Bring back Robbie Fowler!
Bobby Robson - What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It's not the television contracts, get-out clauses or the marketing departments or executive boxes. It's the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Offline Moller

• SFCU forum Junkie
« Reply #693 on: March 02, 2012, 01:37:38 PM »

Semi-professional players looking for full-time contracts I suppose, and frustrated former NSL clubs looking for something 'more' than what state-league football brings.

Yeah, fair enough - but how many of them are going to come forward? Enough for 2 teams? 3? Is he going to try and bring the dad's army crew over from India?
Ridiculous.
Can't Smile Without You

Offline flavius

• Fotti I 'Tardati
  • SFCU forum Junkie
  • Liked: 140
  • peace, love, and all that
"Do you like avocado?" is one of my standard questions when interviewing potential new hires. It's the bar at which basic civilization separates itself from those below us.

Offline SuperJT

• SFCU forum Junkie
  • Northern Suburbs Crew
« Reply #695 on: March 02, 2012, 01:38:57 PM »
I'd love to be Mario Jardel's agent right now

I reject them. It would be like me leaving Sydney and going to Melbourne Victory. This is something that you cannot do - Vítězslav Lavička

Online Sydney_WACCOE

• SFCU forum Junkie
« Reply #696 on: March 02, 2012, 01:41:03 PM »

Yeah, fair enough - but how many of them are going to come forward? Enough for 2 teams? 3? Is he going to try and bring the dad's army crew over from India?
Ridiculous.

I don't know, but if he managed to create a national league containing clubs like Olympic, Marconi, South, Knights, Adelaide City, Floriat Athena etc then I have to admit I'd be a bit curious to see how it all panned out.

Offline Sydparra

• Smurfing
  • SFCU forum Junkie
« Reply #697 on: March 02, 2012, 01:42:28 PM »

A front three of Fowler, Zura and Jardel?
Bobby Robson - What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It's not the television contracts, get-out clauses or the marketing departments or executive boxes. It's the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Offline Sydneyfchammer

• Sydney FC Part-Timer
« Reply #698 on: March 02, 2012, 01:43:46 PM »

Cue PFA support for Palmer in 3...2...1......

Wouldn't surprise me...despite the known fact Clive will renege on any contacts signed at the drop of a hat a la Perchtold.  Surely the players couldn't be that dumb to risk FIFA bans etc for a one year contract that wont be honoured once Clive's tantrum goes belly up?

Offline SuperJT

• SFCU forum Junkie
  • Northern Suburbs Crew
« Reply #699 on: March 02, 2012, 01:44:14 PM »

A front three of Fowler, Zura and Jardel?
Coached by Steve McMahon with Jnr also in the team.