Forum

2018 World Cup Russia All Purpose Thread  

Page 10 / 12 Prev Next

nickko
Sydney FC Fanatic Registered

Batshuayi leathering the ball into the post and back into his face will go down in World Cup folklore.

I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2018 7:26 am SGD liked
CountArach
Posted by: blake

Senegal goes out on the fair play rule.

Can you imagine going out to that? Absolutely heartbreaking. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2018 9:38 am
Jay D
Sydney FC Obsessed Registered

all we need now is for Brazil to crash out and the tournament gets a whole lot more interesting

Posted by: Drughi version2.0 i tried to break into the pizza hut, so i could make myself a kebab.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2018 12:11 pm
dagame
Sydney FC Fan Registered

slow mo

https://m.imgur.com/a/UGXrpk5

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2018 6:55 pm
WhatWouldTerryDo
Posted by: blake

Senegal goes out on the fair play rule.

And Japan goes through on 'fair play' rules, after having spent the last 10 or so minutes passing the ball back and forth between defenders, playing to hold on to a 1-0 loss to an already eliminated side... the irony.

My Sydney FC channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sydneyfc8209/videos

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2018 7:31 pm
blake

With everyone complaining about the teams just playing for the draw to go through, why would they even want the competition to expand to 48 teams with three teams per group and the top two go through.

It'll become such a boring event.

A-League Premiers- 09/10, 16/17, 17/18 A-League Champions- 05/06, 09/10, 16/17

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 30, 2018 1:09 pm
bernieibini12345
Sydney FC Part-Timer Registered

Not sure how France just got a penalty. Contact was outside the box. Why the fuck is VAR used only occasionally

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 1, 2018 12:16 am
Schoolboy Errors

I love watching Mbappe play, absolutely rapid. Reminds me of a mix between Ronaldo (Brazilian one) and Henry.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 1, 2018 10:06 am
shabby
SFCU forum Junkie Registered

So are Messi and Ronaldo both not the best footballist ever now?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 1, 2018 10:39 am
leftfoot007

2 games, 2 penalty shootouts.  Russia & Croatia through.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2018 10:02 am
leftfoot007

2 games, 2 penalty shootouts.  Russia & Croatia through.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2018 10:03 am
marinermick

Croatia, and Denmark even more so were woeful this morning.

It's a pity we didn't sneak into second place. Croatia were there for the taking today and we could have been staring at Russia in the quarter final.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2018 11:02 am
eddie
Posted by: shabby

No. Artem Dzyuba is clearly better than both of them!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 2, 2018 4:19 pm
nickko

Say what you like about the quality of the football, but this world cup certainly isn't lacking for drama.

Japan must be absolutely devastated, although pretty naive to throw so many forward at the death against a side that can counter like belgium. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2018 6:40 am
Paulska

The two Japan goals were pretty mint. If Belgium defends like that in the next game, can't see them progressing. They're very sloppy at that back at times. 

SCCproud member of The Sydney Polish Knobs SPK

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2018 7:18 am
CountArach

Japan Belgium looked like the less interesting game overnight. Jeez was that wrong. 

This World Cup is really delivering. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2018 8:34 am
SGD
 SGD
Posted by: nickko

Say what you like about the quality of the football, but this world cup certainly isn't lacking for drama.

Japan must be absolutely devastated, although pretty naive to throw so many forward at the death against a side that can counter like belgium. 

Disagree with this. They were always going to get done in extra-time just by sheer weight of possession and opportunities. This was their best chance of actually winning.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2018 11:04 am
nickko
Posted by: SGD
Posted by: nickko

Disagree with this. They were always going to get done in extra-time just by sheer weight of possession and opportunities. This was their best chance of actually winning.

Caveat: I only saw the last ten mins as I'd been watching the earlier match on delay.

However, it seemed to me that the match was pretty evenly balanced, with both sides having chances to win it.  In any event, at least set up to defend a counter from that corner i.e. don't give De Bruyne 20 yards to turn and run at you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2018 12:28 pm
Paulska

mainly watched the first half of the game but Japan was lucky.First 30 min was them scrambling against Belgium. They had touches in the Japanese box compared to 0. Goals came completely against the run of play with one really bad mistake by the Belgian defence and then a failure to close/mark for the second. Japan was lucky to go two up. In saying that, they did expose the Belgian weaknesses with England (assuming) will exploit going into the quarters. Belgium has a ridiculously strong attack but their defenders have almost no linkage and a fast striker/winger can get in between. Throw in a bit of pressure and they won't be able to do much

SCCproud member of The Sydney Polish Knobs SPK

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2018 1:32 pm
Hybrid

Watched none of it, but if you’re 2-0 up against the run of play isn’t it madness NOT to bring Okazaki on to harass and defend from the front?

Posted by: BlueRanger One thing thats easy to forget about Bobo's season is that he scored 15 goals.... while having to press for 70-80 minutes

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2018 2:05 pm
Schoolboy Errors

Neymar is a real fanny. Hope Belgium finish Brazil in the quarters.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 3, 2018 7:22 pm
Clovis

After decades of World Cup penalty shootout disappointment, it would seem that for the first time since they last won the cup, the England team have actually practiced taking penalties.

Jean-Paul Sartre:  "In football, everything is complicated by the presence of the opposite team."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2018 6:58 pm
shabby

So they’ve beaten Tunisia, Panama, lost to Sweden and couldn’t beat Columbia in normal and extra time - but “it’s coming home”.

Righto.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2018 10:19 pm
Riccy
Sydney FC Fan Registered

You mean lost to Belgium, not Sweden, but yah I get your drift that they haven't really been tested yet.

MAN UTD AND SYDNEY FC TILL I DIE!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2018 11:14 pm
Jimmy H
Posted by: shabby

They are without a doubt, anyone who disagrees is most likely just someone who doesn't really watch football except to tune into the world cup every four years. In my opinion, the standard of football has improved quite a lot in the last 20 years, maybe even the last 15. I don't see how winning a tournament which occurs once every 4 years makes you a great player, especially when its primarily based on having a bunch of good players in your team which of course you can't choose. When the improved level of fitness, tactics, technology, speed etc. of the modern game is taken into consideration, its kind of laughable to think that the achievements of Pele/Maradona etc. are even comparable to Messi and Ronaldo. Ronaldo/Messi have achieved insane things against far better opposition, in better leagues, with better, faster, stronger, more tactically aware defenders. Put any of the other people who are considered to be the best players of all time in the modern context they would not be as good or nearly as dominant. I don't even think it would be close either. 

Sydney FC forever!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 5, 2018 1:09 am
Page 10 / 12 Prev Next

Working

Please Login or Register