Forum

2018 World Cup Russia All Purpose Thread  

Page 1 / 12 Next

slipton
SFCU forum Junkie Registered

General thread for discussion leading up to and during the 2018 World Cup in Russia.  Groups, squads, cities, travel, news, etc.

Edited: 8 months  ago

Hey careful, man, there's a beverage here!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 5, 2017 2:27 am Clovis liked
[dM]
 [dM]
Sydney FC Obsessed Registered

Not a fan of the new seeding system. It feels like some magic has been taken out of it with the risk of a real group of death completely gone.

None of the Pot 3 teams were really scary at all, even from the perspective of a weak Australian side.

Sydney,
Is sky blue Sydney?
Is sky blue Sydney?
Is sky blue ...  ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2017 8:53 am
SGD
 SGD

Part of the magic was taken out because of the absence of the big names though this time round:

Substitute in Italy, USA, Netherlands and Chile for Sweden, Panama, Iceland and Peru, and the groups look much tougher.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2017 9:22 am
SGD
 SGD

Also, I've  seen games times in Australian time listed as 8pm in some places, and 10pm in others? Anyone know which is correct?

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2017 9:26 am
Belldiouf
Posted by: SGD

Also, I've  seen games times in Australian time listed as 8pm in some places, and 10pm in others? Anyone know which is correct?

Depending on the kick off time and time zone, matches are between 8pm and 4am.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 7, 2017 8:57 am
Hybrid

Peru's Paolo Guerrero given a one year ban for cocaine, back dated to November but won't be on the plane to Russia.

Posted by: BlueRanger One thing thats easy to forget about Bobo's season is that he scored 15 goals.... while having to press for 70-80 minutes

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 9, 2017 10:39 am Schoolboy Errors liked
slipton

Anyone requested tickets for sales round 2 (closing Jan 31st)?

Seems as though you need to add your guest names and passport info if you want to request more than 1 ticket.  I just put my name in again and it accepted it.  Hope they don't void it.  What did people do last time around?

Edited: 6 months  ago

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2018 4:39 am
Belldiouf

For South Africa and Brazil, I entered guest names and passports and was successful.

When it came to collecting tickets, the main applicant was the only one required to present their passport. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2018 8:37 am
slipton
Posted by: Belldiouf

For South Africa and Brazil, I entered guest names and passports and was successful.

When it came to collecting tickets, the main applicant was the only one required to present their passport. 

Pretty sure they're delivering the tickets.

So if I list my brother and his passport number but he has no intention of coming I should be fine given the tickets will be delivered (or I'll pick them up with my passport)?

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 24, 2018 8:44 am
slipton

Just received my allocation - 2 X Cat 1 tickets to the Peru game in Sochi!

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 23, 2018 10:03 am
SGD
 SGD
Posted by: slipton

Seems a long way to go for only one game, or are you relying on picking up tickets on the ground?

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 23, 2018 11:00 am
slipton
Posted by: SGD

Seems a long way to go for only one game, or are you relying on picking up tickets on the ground?

Yeh.  I can't travel until late June so planning to visit St Petersburg and Moscow as a tourist after Australia are knocked out and try and catch a 2nd round game in one of those cities.

Also, it's not as far to travel from the US.  😉

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 24, 2018 1:41 am
Clovis
Sydney FC Fanatic Registered

This is the official England Squad announcement 

https://youtu.be/xGZ_SQswAdk

Could you imagine;

• the FFA doing anything this professional 
  • Australians being this enthusiastic about the Australian squad

Jean-Paul Sartre:  "In football, everything is complicated by the presence of the opposite team."

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 18, 2018 7:07 pm
lucas123
New Member Registered

Argentina squad
Goalkeepers: Sergio Romero (Manchester United), Willy Caballero (Chelsea), Franco Armani (River Plate).

Defenders: Gabriel Mercado (Sevilla), Federico Fazio (Roma), Nicolas Otamendi (Manchester City), Marcos Rojo (Manchester United), Nicolas Taglafico (Ajax), Javier Mascherano (Hebei Fortune), Marcos Acuna (Sporting Lisbon), Cristian Ansaldi (Torino).

Midfielders: Ever Banega (Sevilla), Lucas Biglia (AC Milan), Angel Di Maria, Giovani Lo Celso (both Paris St-Germain), Manuel Lanzini (West Ham), Cristian Pavon (Boca Juniors), Maximiliano Meza (Independiente), Eduardo Salvio (Benfica).

Forwards: Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Gonzalo Higuain, Paulo Dybala (both Juventus), Sergio Aguero (Manchester City).

Edited: 2 months  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : May 22, 2018 11:24 am
eddie

The Peru FA have made one of these for France, Denmark & Us. Has a tourism video feel about it but I like it.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/998964294137143296

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2018 11:02 am
Rory Bunk

Paraphrase "Dear Oz... looking forward to bitch-slapping your shower of cloggers in Ru."

Also, for any Spanish speakers, is that word after the "Arriba Peru" at the end a rude one? If it's anything like in Portuguese, it literally refers to the erect member, but figuratively is like the farken in "Go team, farken!"

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2018 12:07 pm
slipton

Match tickets arrived yesterday.  Kinda shitty at my seat allocation.  Looks like very top deck row 19 around the 18yd box.  I sort of expected as much when Cat 1 was both sides of the stadium (all tiers) from goal line to goal line but still had hopes for better seats.

Oh well.  It'll probably help being far away when we're getting arse blasted.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 25, 2018 12:39 am
Modest_Hatchback_Owner
Sydney FC Fan Registered

Match tickets arrived yesterday.  Kinda shitty at my seat allocation.  Looks like very top deck row 19 around the 18yd box.  I sort of expected as much when Cat 1 was both sides of the stadium (all tiers) from goal line to goal line but still had hopes for better seats.

Got mine a few weeks back. That doesn’t look too bad for what I assume is cat c? I’m cat 1 for the group games and in the lower tier between the half way line and the 18 yrd box for each. 

Arse blasting in my face but close enough that Leckie should hear my comments about him being a useless little gremlin. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 25, 2018 9:58 am
slipton
Posted by: Modest_Hatchback_Owner

Got mine a few weeks back. That doesn’t look too bad for what I assume is cat c? I’m cat 1 for the group games and in the lower tier between the half way line and the 18 yrd box for each. 

Arse blasting in my face but close enough that Leckie should hear my comments about him being a useless little gremlin. 

Mine are Cat 1 too!  The entire sidelines between goal line and goal line (on all tiers) were listed as Cat 1.  So you could be lower tier half way line or top tier back row on the goal line for the same price.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 30, 2018 1:25 am
CountArach

This feels like a really low-key build-up to the World Cup here. Was it like this at the last one? I wasn't in the country last time around so I don't really have a sense if this is anomalous or not. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 30, 2018 7:53 am
Modest_Hatchback_Owner
Sydney FC Fan Registered
Posted by: Modest_Hatchback_Owner

Mine are Cat 1 too!  The entire sidelines between goal line and goal line (on all tiers) were listed as Cat 1.  So you could be lower tier half way line or top tier back row on the goal line for the same price.

Wow that’s a bit of a pot luck, especially given the price and potential quality difference in seats.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 30, 2018 8:34 am
shabby
Posted by: Clovis

This is the official England Squad announcement 

Could you imagine;

• the FFA doing anything this professional 
  • Australians being this enthusiastic about the Australian squad

Its almost as if football isn't as popular in Australia as it is in England!

Edited: 2 months  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : May 30, 2018 9:01 am
Greg
 Greg

Doesn’t seem to be  happening in oz, but the History channel is playing 24/7 football documentaries in the lead up to the WC. Weekend sorted. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 2, 2018 8:22 pm
Graco579
New Member Registered

As a sports enthusiast, the 2018 World Cup can be feast for the eyes and look forward to it.

Edited: 1 month  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2018 4:04 pm
Belldiouf

Just under 48hrs away from the opening match, and my excitement is beginning to peak. Its the first time since 2002 that I will not be attending, and will be left to watch it at home and in bars. Whilst id obviously much rather be there, a part of me is keen to be able to experience it from afar again (or maybe i'm just telling myself that). 

Winners
Like many, i'm backing Brazil to beat Germany in the final, with France and Spain rounding out the top 4. Id love to see some real shocks and surprises like the 2002 tournament, but i'm just not expecting it. Uruguay is my dark horse (hugely bias), as they have a great draw and some good young players coming through at big clubs. Not to mention Suarez and Cavani. Belgium, Mexico and Argentina are my tips for sides who may surprise and struggle more than they should. There is lots of controversy and bad mojo around those 3 in particular. 

Individuals
On an individual level, I think this might be Neymars world cup. I expect Coutinho will also feature prominently. Kane is my tip for top scorer, mostly due to Englands piss easy draw, but also because he is a very good goal scorer. Think Werner for Germany should bag a few as well.

Asia

The world cup is always a totally different beast to the qualifiers. I generally want the Asian teams to do well, as I think its great for the confederation. Its also extremely hypocritical, because I want other a league teams to tank in the ACL. I do struggle to find myself supporting middle eastern teams, mostly because their play acting has rubbed me the wrong way since our move to Asia.

The Saudis have a great draw, and have had some close, hard  fought losses to Italy and Germany recently. However, they were also spanked away to Peru. I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish 2nd behind Uruguay, but I also would be surprised to see them ship a fair few goals.

Iran couldn't have asked for a much tougher group, with Spain, Portugal and Morocco. They've scrapped wins over Lithuania and Uzbekistan recently, whilst losing narrowly to Turkey. They'll be lucky to progress.

Japan is in a very open group, but they are in turmoil. Recently sacking their manager and are surrounded by rumours of discontent. They've lost to Ghana and Switzerland recently, but beat Paraguay 4-2 earlier today. I can see them really struggling.

South Korea has had a busy warm up period, playing 4 games. The beat Honduras 2-0, but lost comfortably to Bosnia and Senegal, whilst drawing with Bolivia. You'd imagine the Germans will storm their group, but they could sneak into second with positive results against Sweden and Mexico. 

Australia, well they were brilliant during the 2015 Asian cup and first part of qualifiers, but they fell apart for the second half of qualifiers. A manager change just 2 months before the start of the world cup, and the next manager already appointed beyond the world cup, things haven't exactly gotten smoother. There have been signs that things are improving. Recent positive results against Colombia, Czezh Republic and Hungary will boost the confidence, but some of those performances were patchy to say the least.

I think playing France early helps, especially if the French aren't at their best opening game. I think Denmark could well end up being the trickiest match, but a plucky draw could see everything riding on the Peru match. I watched a bit of Peru in qualifiers, and whilst they don't have a huge amount of individual talent, they are a well drilled machine and will enjoy every second of their first world cup in many years. I also live in a pretty big Peruvian community, and the vibe is very reminiscent of  the 2006 Socceroos.

Sadly, I don't see Australia getting much joy this world cup. As much as I enjoy Rogic, I think he is a complete luxury for a team like Australia at the world cup. Id much rather see Irvine alongside Mooy and Jedinak/Massimo in the center of midfield. We will spend large amounts of time without the ball this world cup, so its best to have players who offer defensive protection, whilst also running their balls into the ground. Australia is also completely toothless up front, and I just don't see goals coming from anything other than a Mooy free kick or penalty. And if Milligan starts over Jurman, then we deserve every hiding we get. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 13, 2018 6:09 am b0b_444, Clovis, Rory Bunk and 1 people liked
Page 1 / 12 Next

Working

Please Login or Register