Forum

Squad Speculation 2018 - It's all about the ACL baby.  

Page 4 / 20 Prev Next

Latino_SydneyFC
Sydney FC Fan Registered

I'd actually prefer we go with Mark Rudan instead of them two. Here is the source by the way:

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/football/news/tony-popovic-linked-to-sydney-fc-as-graham-arnold-replacement-aleague-football/1md1wjsfnrot91gpzuoc53nb30

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2018 3:14 pm
CountArach
Sydney FC Fanatic Registered
Posted by: RedKat

Id rather him than Okon whos also been linked. That said wouldnt exactly be too keen to get Popa

Pretty much; Okon has shown that he can throw caution to the wind and hit on the break fairly well, but he just can't organise a team. Popa can at least organise a defence quite well, but I still wouldn't want him.

My guess is we go a foreign coach, and this is all just paper talk. Moss and Corica have enough experience with the salary cap and local players to be able to advise any coach on that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2018 5:36 pm
shabby
SFCU forum Junkie Registered
Posted by: Latino_SydneyFC

Was just reading Popovic is a target to coach us if (when) arnold  goes to the socceroos.

Reading where?

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2018 7:24 pm
Schoolboy Errors
Sydney FC Obsessed Registered

Not keen on Popovic or Okon tbh

Would rather we take a punt on a foreign bloke if Arnie leaves.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2018 7:28 pm
CountArach
Posted by: shabby
Posted by: Latino_SydneyFC

Was just reading Popovic is a target to coach us if (when) arnold  goes to the socceroos.

Reading where?

See the top of this page.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2018 7:36 pm
ddr_gdr

The idea of Popovic anywhere near this club is so fckn unpalatable, I don't know how I'd react if it became reality.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2018 9:04 pm
RedKat

Playing devil's advocate here but we're almost destined to scrape the finals or miss them all together as the cap sorts us out and losing Arnie. Might as well get Popa so the inevitable late season sacking will be less painful?

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2018 9:33 pm
RedKat

Seriously though, Coricas been in various coaching roles for 8 years. Could he step up? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 20, 2018 9:39 pm
shabby

I don't see why.

Also there is coach speculation thread where all of this has been discussed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 21, 2018 7:51 am
Schoolboy Errors

What do people think of the news that may be interested in Spiranovic? His Chinese club punted him and he's a free agent. Fox reckons both Sydney and Melbourne clubs are keen.

SPIRANOVIC SET FOR A-LEAGUE RETURN

Socceroos defender Matthew Spiranovic’s time in China is reportedly over amid speculation he’s been released by Zheijang Greentown.

Trusted transfer news site Transfermarkt lists the centre-back as a free agent after Zheijang filled their allotted foreigner quota with three strikers.

The 29-year-old is being linked with a return to the A-League after flying home to thrash out his club future.

Matthew Spiranovic of the Wanderers celebrates after scoring a goal during the 2014 A-League Grand Final
Matthew Spiranovic of the Wanderers celebrates after scoring a goal during the 2014 A-League Grand Final
Source: Getty Images
It is believed Spiranovic has held talks over a possible return to the West Sydney Wanderers, who he left in 2015 for China, with Sydney FC, Melbourne Victory and Melbourne City all keen to fight them for his signature.

The defender has 35 caps for the Socceroos, although hasn’t made an international appearance since Australia’s 2-0 loss to Japan last August.

Spiranovic hasn’t given up hope of making the Socceroos squad for Russia, although he’ll face an uphill battle to convince Bert van Marwijk he’s worthy of reinstatement.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/socceroos/media-watch-matthew-spiranovic-released-by-zheijang-greentown-in-talks-with-aleague-clubs/news-story/2e752c5efb08a968b88fa07f58bbe22b

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2018 7:32 pm
CountArach

We surely couldn't afford him.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2018 7:44 pm
RedKat

Maybe for next season as a Buijs replacement but even then unlikely. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2018 8:58 pm
eddie

No way we could afford him this season and he will want to be playing in the lead up to the World Cup.
That's before you take into account that he's played for the Tards & WSW.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 27, 2018 11:19 pm
Viska
Sydney FC Part-Timer Registered

Signing him with a small payment this year,use him in ACL after the group stage,bench player in A league.With a reasonable payment for next season IF Bujis leaves?

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 28, 2018 8:43 am
daveee

Interesting. Could this be why Arnie didn't select Buijs for the ACL and is he even eligible for the ACL?

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 28, 2018 1:05 pm
Rory Bunk

No, the ACL squads have been finalised for a month.

They could have released him earlier. Would've been perfect.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 28, 2018 1:56 pm
Schoolboy Errors

Rangers are chasing O'Neill according to today's SMH.

Have to say that's a bit of a surprise if true - would've expected the other side of Glasgow.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 3, 2018 9:08 am
CountArach
Posted by: Schoolboy Errors

Rangers are chasing O'Neill according to today's SMH.

Have to say that's a bit of a surprise if true - would've expected the other side of Glasgow.

According to The Scottish Sun, O'Neill "isn't a serious target for [Rangers]"

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2304441/brandon-oneill-rangers-sydney-fc-transfer-news/

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 3, 2018 10:46 am
eddie

Why would he be off contract in December? He could sign a pre-contract then but he's not available until June 2019 unless they pay a transfer fee. Pretty sure they're skint again as well so it's probably not an option.

That's all before you get to it being a terrible move for him. 

Edited: 4 months  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : March 3, 2018 6:19 pm
Schoolboy Errors

Rangers aren't rich but they could easily afford to sign O'Neill.

They just turned down 9.5m for Alfredo Morelos, so they have some money.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 4, 2018 9:04 am
sinjin.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/sydney-fc-set-to-re-sign-marquees-jets-at-risk-of-losing-another-star-20180309-p4z3of.html

Bobô & Ninko likely to sign new deals, Ninko to become strayan before next season

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 9, 2018 5:08 pm
Rory Bunk

While I'm not quite in the BlueRanger camp, the prospect of Bobo being another 12 months slower is a slight worry for me. I think he's at a similar juncture to Holosko a year back.

Milos however can have the keys to the city no matter his age or form.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 9, 2018 5:23 pm
RedKat

He may be slow but we'd be insane to not keep a guy whos scored 22 league goals this season. 

It'll be interesting to see how things go next season. If the 4+1 is confirmed we'd have Bobo and Adrian taking up two spots, Ninko counting as an Aussie and Buijs sounds out the door. So that would give the new guy 2+1 to work with. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 9, 2018 5:34 pm
Rory Bunk

I thought it was 5 years for citizenship, or for it to be official with FIFA?

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 9, 2018 5:52 pm
CountArach
Posted by: Rory Bunk

I thought it was 5 years for citizenship, or for it to be official with FIFA?

That's for the ACL to stop nations from just granting citizenship to players. So he would be Australian for the A-League purposes and Serbian for ACL purposes. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 9, 2018 6:19 pm
Page 4 / 20 Prev Next

Working

Please Login or Register