Forum

Squad Speculation 2018 - It's all about the ACL baby.  

Page 27 / 40 Prev Next

sydneyfc_FTT
Sydney FC Obsessed Registered

Will Mutch is decent but not sure if A-League ready.

SFCU Knockout Game - Round 15 Title Holder

Sydney FC - Olympiakos - Borussia Dortmund

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2018 10:48 pm
CountArach
Sydney FC Fanatic Registered
Posted by: sydneyfc_FTT

Will Mutch is decent but not sure if A-League ready.

I also see him as playing more of a Rhyan Grant attacking right back role. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2018 8:49 am
FTT123
Sydney FC Acolyte Registered

According to football-italia.netClaudio Marchisio has received a proposal from Australia upon his move away from Juve. Despite being highly audacious with his high wage, he could be a good asset. However, I'd rather our marquee be a Bobo replacement.

"Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that." - Bill Shankly

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2018 9:11 am
Phormic

According to the internet (which is never wrong), we're in "advanced" talks with Toronto FC over Altidore. Toronto are happy to release him from his contract.

https://twitter.com/mturnerATB/status/1016682348669046784

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2018 11:08 am
[dM]
 [dM]
Posted by: FTT123

According to football-italia.netClaudio Marchisio has received a proposal from Australia upon his move away from Juve. Despite being highly audacious with his high wage, he could be a good asset. However, I'd rather our marquee be a Bobo replacement.

That sounds to me more like a scarily good Milligan replacement for the fuckers down south.

Sydney,
Is sky blue Sydney?
Is sky blue Sydney?
Is sky blue ...  ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2018 1:47 pm
marinermick

That would be an insane signing!

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2018 2:13 pm
MFSkyBlue
Member Admin

Would be an insane signing, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I just had my heart crushed thinking Torres was coming to Sydney FC

Terry McFlynn, everywhere I look around

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2018 2:37 pm
CountArach

Marchisio would be an amazing get. It'd get all the Juve fans back that's for sure.

Hopefully ADP has put in a good word. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2018 3:03 pm
suparockin
SFCU forum Junkie Registered
Posted by: [dM]

That sounds to me more like a scarily good Milligan replacement for the fuckers down south.

We don't need a player in that position, more likely the Tards I'm guessing too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2018 4:03 pm
eddie
Posted by: Phormic

According to the internet (which is never wrong), we're in "advanced" talks with Toronto FC over Altidore. Toronto are happy to release him from his contract.

https://twitter.com/mturnerATB/status/1016682348669046784

Jozy Altidore isn't how you spell Sebastian Giovinco 🙁

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2018 4:19 pm
FTT123

Don't know how well he will be for Sydney as a lone striker. From the little I've seen from him, the main aspect of his game is holding the ball up for Giovinco. With Ninkovic playing much deeper, would he have the same effect. More service but not sure if that would mean more goal contributions.

"Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that." - Bill Shankly

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2018 4:51 pm
pietro

Both Giovinco and Marchisio tick the Juve/Azzuri boxes that will matter a lot to the Juve-obsessed Italo-Australian community here. Both are top players but neither will have anywhere near ADP's crowd-pulling power. ADP was at that time, the most popular person in Italy and beloved by fans of all clubs and none. For me, both also tick the played for Empoli box! 🙂 Could Marchisio or Govnico be our new Adrian (plus bring in more fans? That would make him marquee-worthy).

Altidore does not have Bobo's scoring record (except at AZ and in the MLS) and would probably not add one extra supporter in the stands. But I have not seen him play and he might be perfect for the HAL. Any thoughts on Lavezzi, still only 33 and playing in China?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2018 6:03 pm
Hybrid

FFS. Seems we got close with Torres, but gutted to just learn that while we were pre-occupied with him we probably missed a great chance to go after my man crush Jonathas. Just moved back to Brazil with Corinthians on loan, had a few years as a squad player at Sociedad and Hannover after solid as fuck seasons at Elche and Rubin Kazan respectively.... I maintain he would absolutely crush this league, still at a good age, and we could be the perfect sell for both lifestyle and solid playing time. Can’t imagine wages would be prohibitive either (using that spare marquee #9 Brazilian spot).

Sigh. ** back to FM where he leads us to 4 straight ACL titles at a goal a game **

Posted by: BlueRanger One thing thats easy to forget about Bobo's season is that he scored 15 goals.... while having to press for 70-80 minutes

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2018 6:06 pm
RedKat

Lavezzi was one of the highest paid players in the world with his China move. Doubt we're competing there. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2018 6:48 pm
Schoolboy Errors

Can't see Marchisio ending up in the HAL, although it would be great.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 12, 2018 7:42 pm
FTT123

Leroy George rumours are back on with theworldgame  reporting we have tabled an offer that will see him fit inside the salary cap. Will be a good deal if it goes through. He will provide extra width, something we lacked last season, and still allow of a decent player up top with marquee and foreign spots still available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2018 7:14 am
FTT123

Leroy George rumours are back on with theworldgame  reporting we have tabled an offer that will see him fit inside the salary cap. Will be a good deal if it goes through. He will provide extra width, something we lacked last season, and still allow of a decent player up top with marquee and foreign spots still available.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2018 7:16 am
Schoolboy Errors

SBS saying we are close to offering Leroy George a deal, guessing it’s Adrian’s wage under the cap, plus maybe some of Jordy’s?

Either way, guess we are then aiming for a marquee tap in merchant and that would be about it. Might see a lot more of our fringe players this season.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2018 8:43 am
CountArach
Posted by: Schoolboy Errors

SBS saying we are close to offering Leroy George a deal, guessing it’s Adrian’s wage under the cap, plus maybe some of Jordy’s?

Either way, guess we are then aiming for a marquee tap in merchant and that would be about it. Might see a lot more of our fringe players this season.

Looks like it is at least $700k, which would be Adrian plus almost all of Buijs I imagine.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/sydney-closing-in-on-george-to-rub-salt-in-victory-s-wounds

I'd be worried about our squad being too thin at this rate. However, maybe Corica is going to put more faith in some of our young guys. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2018 9:06 am
CountArach

Also from that same article:

“We have some major roles to fill,” [Townsend] said. “It’s well documented that we tried to sign Fernando Torres but it wasn’t to be.”

The club have been linked with the likes of Peter Crouch, Jozy Altidore and Victor Anichebe, none of whom have been discussed, according to Townsend.

“I know who we’re talking to, and those names aren’t on the list,” he added.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2018 9:08 am
ddr_gdr

Would be genuinely disappointed with George. Would reflect a lazy approach to rebuilding the squad, and a lack of imagination and effort in finding a decent player without an attitude and not a known quantity..his effect on games reduced as the season went on and as teams worked out he wasn't that special at all. Pass.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2018 9:14 am
Schoolboy Errors

I'm torn - it shows Victory a huge amount of disrespect if we do sign him; but that's an unprecedented salary under the cap. He needs to deliver.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2018 9:21 am
MFSkyBlue
Member Admin

I'd honestly love to have him, but he can't be toxic like he has for victory. Also if we get him under the cap, it leaves a marquee spot for a striker and and then our front 4 are set. We'll also have Buhagiar and hopefully Halloran as subs. 

Leaves a question on a centre back. Do we look for a foreign player, or do we stick with Warland or Calver?

Terry McFlynn, everywhere I look around

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2018 10:41 am
CountArach

I'd be okay with those two I think, they are ready for first team play. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2018 10:48 am
Konk
 Konk

I think we should be aiming higher than Leroy for a foreign and/or marquee spot. Not a good enough player for us and also shows a lack of scouting ability considering our recent history with finding good forgeiners.

We had Ali Abbas not too long ago who I would rate as a better player actually when he was in form.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2018 11:05 am
Page 27 / 40 Prev Next

Working

Please Login or Register