Forum

Squad Speculation 2018 - It's all about the ACL baby.  

Page 26 / 40 Prev Next

CountArach
Sydney FC Fanatic Registered

Shame to miss out on Torres, I was actually thinking there was a bit of hope there. I can't see us getting Honda so I imagine we are continuing to steer away from the big names. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 10, 2018 5:33 pm
Clovis
Posted by: CountArach

Shame to miss out on Torres...

No great loss, he only scores tap ins.

Jean-Paul Sartre:  "In football, everything is complicated by the presence of the opposite team."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 10, 2018 6:28 pm
Schoolboy Errors
Sydney FC Obsessed Registered

Torres would've been sweet, but it's not a disaster to miss out, it's an insane amount of money by HAL standards.

Still heaps of time to find a tap-in merchant to replace Bobo.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 10, 2018 6:42 pm
Sydneyfc66
Sydney FC Part-Timer Registered

FFS just don’t send us back to the farina era.Weren’t used to losing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 10, 2018 9:30 pm
sydneyfc_FTT

Reading Danny Townsend's comments on Twitter this morning, it seems like we were serious and went pretty hard for Torres (and got close). He basically admitted that there were times he thought it was done!

I wonder if this means the club is straying away from that ideology under Arnie that we sign relatively 'unknown' marquees (i.e.: Janko, Bobô) who have good pedigree and are now shifting back towards the 'name' marquee. 

FWIW, as much as having the idea of Torres leading our line would have pleased me, I really enjoyed the last few years as it felt like everyone in our stadium was there to watch our team and not just our marquee. I used to dread going to some matches in the ADP era due to the people around me slagging off our other players (admittedly players like Warren... well.. yeah) but the last 4 years under Arnie - those that were there were true SFC fans, not marquee fans.

SFCU Knockout Game - Round 15 Title Holder

Sydney FC - Olympiakos - Borussia Dortmund

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2018 8:23 am
Paulska

The Arnold era was one of the first time I actually had faith with the club management. The signing of players like Del Piero etc. stunk of the club identifying a root problem and trying to solve it by throwing money at it. Players like Ninkovic, Adrian, Bobo, Bujis etc show the club actually did a shit tone of research into signing them and didn't just assume big name=success.

The biggest negative with a big name marquee, is the fact that teams tend to stop working together as a unit, but instead start working around a single player. While effective in the first two seasons of the a-league, football has grown and evolved so much in our country that it generally becomes simple to remove the main player from the game and bang, no more success

SCCproud member of The Sydney Polish Knobs SPK

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2018 8:48 am Le Roi liked
shabby
SFCU forum Junkie Registered
Posted by: Paulska

The biggest negative with a big name marquee, is the fact that teams tend to stop working together as a unit, but instead start working around a single player. While effective in the first two seasons of the a-league, football has grown and evolved so much in our country that it generally becomes simple to remove the main player from the game and bang, no more success

There's a lot of Del Piero butt-hurt in this post. None of that HAS to be the case.

Shinji Ono is probably the prime example of that. We also won the double with Aloisi and the Toilet Seat with Yorke.

Big name marquee's have their merits.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2018 9:12 am Le Roi liked
shabby
Posted by: sydneyfc_FTT

I really enjoyed the last few years as it felt like everyone in our stadium was there to watch our team and not just our marquee.... but the last 4 years under Arnie - those that were there were true SFC fans, not marquee fans.

Every sports team needs a certain amount of casual fan pull.

You can't thrive on the hard-core alone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2018 9:17 am Le Roi liked
CountArach

Plus the whole always looking for one player is not limited to big name marquees - it can happen even with lesser names. DDS at CCM this season is a good example, and you could argue that Ninkovic in the title winning season is another (though he was completely unplayable then so it worked out). 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2018 9:23 am
Paulska
Posted by: shabby

There's a lot of Del Piero butt-hurt in this post. None of that HAS to be the case.

Shinji Ono is probably the prime example of that. We also won the double with Aloisi and the Toilet Seat with Yorke.

First two years in a brand new league don't set the bar. Aloisi was hardly a big name marquee. In fact if you can recall, the whole Cove was ready to crucify him the previous year. The year after, when he'd lost his big name status and Viteslav took over with some decent foreign signings was the year that Sydney shone. In fact it was Kissel, Keller and co. that really shone that year. Aloisi was good as he salvaged us that game in Parra. 

Look at Del Piero, Juninho, Emerton. Playing in years we did literally sweet all with a squad that should have dominated.

SCCproud member of The Sydney Polish Knobs SPK

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2018 9:23 am
shabby
Posted by: shabby

First two years in a brand new league don't set the bar. Aloisi was hardly a big name marquee. In fact if you can recall, the whole Cove was ready to crucify him the previous year. The year after, when he'd lost his big name status and Viteslav took over with some decent foreign signings was the year that Sydney shone. In fact it was Kissel, Keller and co. that really shone that year. Aloisi was good as he salvaged us that game in Parra. 

Look at Del Piero, Juninho, Emerton. Playing in years we did literally sweet all with a squad that should have dominated.

The biggest difference in the HAL between now and the early seasons is that there are MORE quality players - not less. Double the number of marquees and a lot better cap players. Its harder than ever to mark one person out of a game. The facts do not support your position.

Aloisi was one of the biggest football names in the mainstream at the time. He was also the first ever Sydney player to hit double digits, if I remember correctly. I remember him dragging us to the Premiership, while the rest of the side started to flail a bit.

Juninho was awesome and I won't hear a bad word about him.

Emerton was also far from poisonous. We had plenty of other problems when he was around that weren't his fault. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2018 9:57 am Simo liked
Schoolboy Errors

Seeing some Twitter talk about our marquee shortlist:

Jozy Altodore
Andre Pierre Gignac
Giuseppe Rossi
Gabby Agbonlahor
Victor Anichebe

My first pick would be Gignac from that list, I reckon Altidore would be interesting too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2018 10:12 am
CountArach

Please not Agbonlahor. He has scored 3 goals over the last 3 seasons combined. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2018 11:31 am
RedKat

Of those Gignac seems most interesting. Scoring goals for fun in Mexico. Altidore is an interesting one too. Still only 28. Rossi I thought was permacrocked. Anichebe and Agbonlahor not so interesting. FFA were apparently looking at Crouch

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2018 11:57 am
Schoolboy Errors

Gignac would be a beast - scored 70 odd goals over 100 games in Mexico.

Altidore is a great age and has done pretty well in MLS.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2018 1:05 pm
shabby
Posted by: Schoolboy Errors

Altidore is a great age and has done pretty well in MLS.

Marquee material though?

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2018 1:18 pm
MFSkyBlue
Member Admin

My preference would go 

1. Gignac

2. Altidore

3. Rossi

4. Agbonlahor

5. Anichebe

Agbonlahor and Anichebe I wouldn't want, Rossi I wouldn't have a clue and Gignac and Altidore would be great signings in my opinion. They both seem to hold the ball up and bring others into the game, something Bobo was never excellent at

Terry McFlynn, everywhere I look around

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2018 1:21 pm
sydneyfc_FTT

Gignac would take the piss out of the A-League.

Do yourselves a favour...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zahOyx5LDHk

Edited: 1 month  ago

SFCU Knockout Game - Round 15 Title Holder

Sydney FC - Olympiakos - Borussia Dortmund

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2018 1:30 pm Schoolboy Errors liked
eddie

Random name to throw out there as an in cap CF. It would be a gamble as his career has definitely not reached the heights it could have due to off field issues but he looks like he could be one of those random signings that would work out here.

Artem Milevsky: Has 50 caps & 8 goals for Ukraine and currently playing in the country of his birth, Belarus. Was at Dynamo Kyiv the entire time Ninko was there (both left at the same time). Has been to Turkey, Croatia, Romania, Russia & finally Belarus since. He has slightly less than a 1 in 3 (101 in 334) scoring record over his club career.

As I said though he's had several off field incidents which would make him a high risk signing. From his Wikipedia:

"Milevskiy is known both for his technical ability and physical bulk which allows him to play with a quicker forward, just as well as for numerous drug, racing and drinking scandals"

"Milevsky signed a three-year contract with Gaziantepspor during the summer of 2013. While contracted to Gaziantepspor, Milevsky crashed his Ferrari California and went on to have his contract cancelled by mutual consent on 31 December 2013."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2018 3:45 pm
RedKat

Arnie was pretty big on wanting good characters and calm heads. Remember that Estonian dude we were going to sign but then had bad character references

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2018 3:47 pm
suparockin

Hatem Ben Arfa - on the outer at PSG, is a little old at 31, hasn't played regularly for a while and reputed to be a bit of a nutter.

I'd still take him, he also just followed me back on Instagram - hope he likes the pictures of cigars and whatever I'm eating for dinner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatem_Ben_Arfa  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVBO9wJn4A

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2018 4:28 pm
CountArach

Well, at least it wouldn't be boring.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2018 4:40 pm
MFSkyBlue
Member Admin

Obviously we are looking for a marquee Centre Forward. I still think we need another attacking midfielder, any news on Ben Halloran. If we are to continue with 4231 under Corica who be in the 3 in front of Brilliante and O'Neill. Obviously we have Ninkovic and Brosque, but I highly doubt Brosque can continue playing 90 minutes week in week out. I can't see Retre or Zuvela playing in a more advanced role. If the Ben Halloran deal falls through, and we don't get anyone else, is there anyone from the Youth team good enough to step up. For example McIllhatton, from the looks of things he's been doing well can anyone confirm his quality. 

Another interesting thing for me for this upcoming season is how Corica will set up. Will he play the same formation as Arnie or will he do a completely different style.

Terry McFlynn, everywhere I look around

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2018 8:15 pm
RedKat

We can be trying to recruit multiple players at one. We're obviously going for a marquee striker. We're obviously in the market for a wide midfielder too and have visa spots to use too. 

Ross McCormack has apparently been released from Villa. Surely City would be on the phone already but hes already proven in the league and if he stayed a full season his numbers were surely heading to something similar to Bobo

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2018 8:19 pm MFSkyBlue liked
CountArach

McIllhatton is good, though Zuvela is ahead of him. The problem is neither is a wide player, they are more CMs.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 11, 2018 9:30 pm
Page 26 / 40 Prev Next

Working

Please Login or Register