Forum

Pre-season 2018 - Free Trade Port Super Champions Cup Edition  

Page 1 / 6 Next

CountArach
Sydney FC Fanatic Registered

Given that there is definitely absolutely nothing else going on in world football right now, might as well create the pre-season thread for this year. 

442 are reporting that we will be going to China in July for the catchily-named 2018 Free Trade Port Super Champions Cup, which will no doubt sit proudly next to the Townsville Cup in our trophy cabinet:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/newcastle-jets-to-face-la-liga-trio-in-spanish-pre-season-tour-492677

The Jets will also venture to southern China in early June during a blockbuster pre-season.

Newcastle, along with Sydney FC, will compete in the 2018 Free Trade Port Super Champions Cup, where they'll face Chinese Super League clubs Beijing Guoan and Shanghai Shenhua in Haikou.

Anyone got a good idea for a thread name? 

Edited: 4 months  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2018 10:38 pm
hillbilly
SFCU forum Junkie Registered

Fuck Shenhua. 

It works anywhere, anytime, anyhow. 

Bolton; Packer,Rudan,Timpano,Ceccoli; McFlynn,Bingley; Carney,Yorke,Corica; Petrovski.
Bolton; Ryall,Keller,Colosimo,Byun; Kisel,Musialik,McFlynn,Bridge; Brosque,Payne.
Vukovic; Grant,Wilkinson,Buijs,Zullo; Brillante,O'Neill; Holosko,Brosque,Ninkovic; Bobo.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 6, 2018 4:32 pm
Phormic
Sydney FC Obsessed Registered

"2018 Free Trade Port Super Champions Cup"

Never mind lads. We missed out on being champions last season but we can find redemption in becoming... SUPER CHAMPIONS!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 6, 2018 5:14 pm Schoolboy Errors liked
eddie

Needs more Thailand Tobacco Monopoly FC.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 6, 2018 5:22 pm
Clovis

Surely participation in this competition will diminish the importance of the Townsville Cup.

Jean-Paul Sartre:  "In football, everything is complicated by the presence of the opposite team."

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 6, 2018 6:12 pm
Schoolboy Errors

How on earth do these random pre season tournaments cover their costs.

Anyway, a chance to get one over those Shenhua bastards is always welcome.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 6, 2018 7:22 pm
Rory Bunk

Arnie started his Sydney FC tenure winning the prestigious Townsville Cup in pre-season as an omen for the 4 successful years to come.

Clearly, the omens are all there for Steve C to similarly usher in his era of dominance in another esteemed and prestigious off-season tournament.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 7, 2018 9:42 am
MFSkyBlue
Member Admin

All jokes aside this is quality opposition for the boys to test themselves ahead of the season. Not McArthur Rams or Eastwood Wanderers (no offence)

Terry McFlynn, everywhere I look around

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 7, 2018 10:19 am
CountArach

Don't knock that Earlwood friendly, always a good freezing night out. Plus Simon scored a free kick against them in the last one. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 7, 2018 10:27 am
CountArach

We have some information about our first Sydney-based pre-season games:

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/5493391/sydney-fc-to-start-pre-season-campaign-at-kogarah/?src=rss

Sydney FC will play a pair of pre-season friendlies against local clubs at Jubilee Oval, Kogarah next month.

The Sky Blues will take on St George City and Sutherland Sharks in July as they start preparations for the 2018-19 A-League season.

The matches, and a potential clash at Manly, will be Sydney’s only hit outs before their first competitive match of the season, their FFA Cup round of 32 clash with NPL 1 side Rockdale City.

It also marks the start of Sydney FC’s three-year tenure at Jubilee Oval, with the club to make the ground home along with Leichhardt Oval and the Sydney Cricket Ground while Allianz Stadium undergoes refurbishment works.

It will be a good chance for a couple of competitive games and to see how Kogarah will feel on a game day.

Also pre-season training starts on Monday apparently.

Edited: 3 months  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : June 30, 2018 1:34 pm
MFSkyBlue
Member Admin

I reckon it’s a move to counter the southern expansion bid. I reckon Sydney FC will try and involve the St George area more this season and grasp that area.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 30, 2018 11:49 pm
shabby
Posted by: MFSkyBlue

I reckon it’s a move to counter the southern expansion bid. I reckon Sydney FC will try and involve the St George area more this season and grasp that area.

Or its an organic move, based on the natural inclination to serve the large base of supporters we have in the St George area?

Edited: 3 months  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 1, 2018 10:16 am
MFSkyBlue
Member Admin
Posted by: shabby

Or its an organic move, based on the natural inclination to serve the large base of supporters we have in the St George area?

Yeah of course. The majority of our members are in that region and have been for a long time. Which is why southern expansion can fuck off. I’m just saying I reckon the club will do even more community stuff than usual down there to stamp our authority on the area. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 1, 2018 9:12 pm
CountArach

So we have sent our team to the tournament. From what I have read elsewhere it is youth players on the plane. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2018 7:33 am
CountArach
Hyundai A-League Premiers and FFA Cup winners Sydney FC will play two pre-season friendly matches in late July ahead of the start of their FFA Cup title defence against Rockdale City Suns on Wednesday 1st August.

The Sky Blues will meet New South Wales National Premier League division 3 club Dunbar Rovers in their first friendly at North Sydney Oval on Wednesday 18th July, kicking off at 7.30pm.

Sutherland Sharks provide the Sky Blues next opposition a week later on Wednesday 25th July with the game to be played at Jubilee Oval in Kogarah at 7.30pm.

Steve Corica is looking forward to getting his first matches as Head Coach under his belt.

“These are important matches for us as we look towards the first game of our title defence,” he said.

“It’s crucial that every player can get some minutes in his legs prior to the Rockdale match and I think we have some good opposition to test us ahead of that game.

“The players always look forward to the matches which break-up pre-season training and I’ve no doubt they will be ready and raring to go.”

Both pre-season games will be open to Members and fans, with entry at the gate priced at $5 per person and all proceeds going towards the Sydney FC Foundation.

Sydney FC’s Pre-Season Fixtures:
Wednesday 18 July vs Dunbar Rovers @ North Sydney Oval (Friendly)
Wednesday 25 July vs Sutherland Sharks @ Jubilee Oval. (Friendly)
Wednesday 1st August vs Rockdale City Suns @ TBC. (Westfield FFA Cup Round of 32)
ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2018 5:43 pm Schoolboy Errors liked
Sydney Rovers

It goes without saying; Fark Dunbar!

“And this game needs personalities who are not afraid to have their say. [b]Mind you, it helps if they know something about football,” – Craig Foster

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 4, 2018 6:55 pm Hybrid and eddie liked
CountArach

You can watch the first game of the China tonight trip here if you want something to do while waiting for the World Cup:

https://twitter.com/SydneyFC/status/1015195479573843969?s=19

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 6, 2018 9:29 pm Schoolboy Errors liked
Schoolboy Errors

Anyone know if that was Changchun Yatai's youth side or were their first teamers? Either way, well done to the boys for getting the W.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 7, 2018 10:17 am
CountArach

So the first pre-season game is tomorrow night and I'm planning to go and do a match report for the site. Is there anything in particular that people would like me to watch out for and report back on? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 17, 2018 7:47 am
eddie

Now that Matty Simon is gone there's 2 positions that need to be filled: Scapegoat and Cult Hero - Albino.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 17, 2018 11:47 am
MFSkyBlue
Member Admin

Thanks for doing this, I really wanted to go but can't make it. Can you please watch out for:

1. Rhyan Grant - if he's playing I'd like to know how he's going after his injury. Obviously there'll be a dip in class from last time we saw him play.

2. Formation - does Corica stay the same as Arnie or is it completely different

3. Trent Buhagiar - if he's playing how he links up with Brosque and Ninkovic

That was all I was could think of

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 17, 2018 3:20 pm
CountArach

Thanks for doing this, I really wanted to go but can't make it. Can you please watch out for:

1. Rhyan Grant - if he's playing I'd like to know how he's going after his injury. Obviously there'll be a dip in class from last time we saw him play.

2. Formation - does Corica stay the same as Arnie or is it completely different

3. Trent Buhagiar - if he's playing how he links up with Brosque and Ninkovic

That was all I was could think of

No drama. The first two were in the back of my head but I'll add Buhagiar to the list if he plays. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 17, 2018 3:37 pm
Hybrid

64 hours since the World Cup Final finished.

Thank Christ

16-17: Vukovic, Grant, Wilkinson, Jurman, Zullo, Brillante, O'Neill, Holosko, Brosque, Ninkovic, Bobo

17-18: Redmayne, Wilkshire, Buijs, Wilkinson, Zullo, Brillante, O'Neill, Adrian, Brosque, Ninkovic, Bobo

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 18, 2018 6:59 pm
Hybrid

^^^ thank Christ the off-season is over.

16-17: Vukovic, Grant, Wilkinson, Jurman, Zullo, Brillante, O'Neill, Holosko, Brosque, Ninkovic, Bobo

17-18: Redmayne, Wilkshire, Buijs, Wilkinson, Zullo, Brillante, O'Neill, Adrian, Brosque, Ninkovic, Bobo

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 18, 2018 7:00 pm Schoolboy Errors liked
sydneyfc_FTT

Apparently Uruguayan winger Sebastian Gallegos is trialling with us tonight. If you could keep an eye and give some feedback, that'd be awesome mate 🙂

SFCU Knockout Game - Round 15 Title Holder

Sydney FC - Olympiakos - Borussia Dortmund

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 18, 2018 7:19 pm
Page 1 / 6 Next

Working

Please Login or Register