Forum

Coach Speculation 2018: The Post Arnold Era  

Page 10 / 11 Prev Next

CountArach
Sydney FC Fanatic Registered

The AAP is reporting that Sydney FC are poised to confirm Steve Corica as new coach this afternoon:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/16/sydney-fc-poised-to-confirm-steve-corica-as-new-coach

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2018 12:44 pm
CountArach

Sydney FC has appointed Hall of Fame Member #1 and 2010 Hyundai A-League double winning captain Steve Corica as its new Head Coach, Chairman Scott Barlow announced today.

Corica becomes Head Coach having served as Assistant Coach to the Hyundai A-League squad during the last four highly successful seasons and as Foxtel National Youth League Head Coach before that where he won the Championship in 2014.

The 45-year old has experienced eight years within the Sky Blues coaching set up and takes the next step on his coaching journey.

Chairman Scott Barlow said: “I am delighted to announce Steve Corica as our new Head Coach.

“Steve has been an integral part of our club’s success over the last two years, he has proven himself to be an outstanding coach and is well and truly ready to take on this role.

“Steve is a legend of our club, he has been a Sydney FC player, captain, youth coach, assistant coach and now becomes Head Coach.

“We are proud to be able to promote from within, it is yet another sign of our progress and maturity as a club.

“His appointment provides us with continuity as we look to build on our many recent successes and deliver more silverware to our Members and fans.”

Corica scored the Sky Blues’ winning goal in the inaugural Hyundai A-League Final in 2006 has been with the club since inception having played 137 times, scoring 31 goals.

In 2007 he scored Sydney FC’s first ever goal in AFC Champions League football when opening the scoring in the first match away to Shanghai Shenhua.

He captained the squad to the 2010 Championship and Premiership double before announcing his retirement from playing and joining the Sydney FC coaching staff the following season.

In 2015 Corica was the first person to be inducted into the Sydney FC Hall of Fame at the Sky Blues 10 Year Anniversary lunch and said he was looking forward to working with the players and staff.

“I’m ecstatic and honoured to be the new Head Coach of Sydney FC, it’s a great club that is extremely close to my heart and one I am very passionate about,” he said.

“I’ve been here since day one, as a player, a captain, a youth team coach and an A-League assistant coach and now it’s the right time to step up. It’s a huge privilege.

“We’ve a very talented group of players and staff and with the majority of the squad from the last two years staying together, we want to grow the club and I expect to be challenging again for the top trophies.

“I have always had a great relationship with the Members and fans and I hope they will come with us again next season in both the A-League, FFA Cup and AFC Champions League,” he continued.

“I’d like to thank Scott Barlow, Han Berger, Danny Townsend and the board of directors, as well as Terry McFlynn for giving me this opportunity and also my family for their love and support over my years in football.

“We’ve a hugely exciting period in front of us and I am keen to get started on planning next season’s success straight away.”

As a player Corica had a successful career in Australia, England and Japan playing close to 450 games across 20 seasons.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2018 2:03 pm WhatWouldTerryDo liked
shabby
SFCU forum Junkie Registered

I suspect its the right call, but I don't think I've ever been so anxious for a coach to succeed. 

God, I hope it works.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2018 2:10 pm
CountArach
Posted by: shabby

I suspect its the right call, but I don't think I've ever been so anxious for a coach to succeed. 

God, I hope it works.

Yeah I'm so incredibly nervous about this one. If it goes well then Corica is a certified club legend for life, otherwise this really risks tarnishing his good service in the minds of many supporters. 

Still at least he already has a song. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2018 2:24 pm
Phormic
Sydney FC Obsessed Registered

Am I the only one getting Ian Crook flashbacks?

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2018 2:31 pm
Rory Bunk

This is the right decision for me. stability at this time with the stadium situation for the next 3 seasons is important.

Here's to making the role his own!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2018 2:32 pm
Rory Bunk
Posted by: Phormic

Two pretty huge differences: Crook didn't want to be 1st team coach and inherited a poorly performing team.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2018 2:45 pm
Modest_Hatchback_Owner
Sydney FC Fan Registered

If his time as head coach with us is a success I hope consideration is given to having a statue of him in front of our new stadium. Will have surely elevated himself to the highest level of club legend and worthy of being cast in bronze. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2018 3:06 pm WhatWouldTerryDo and Schoolboy Errors liked
CountArach

Anyone care to speculate on Corica's tactical style? You'd have to think it would be similar to Arnie, but he would surely have some of his own ideas. Buhagiar might hint at a bit more of a reliance on speedy counter attacks. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2018 3:31 pm
hillbilly
Posted by: Phormic

Fuckin stop being negative! 

Bolton; Packer,Rudan,Timpano,Ceccoli; McFlynn,Bingley; Carney,Yorke,Corica; Petrovski.
Bolton; Ryall,Keller,Colosimo,Byun; Kisel,Musialik,McFlynn,Bridge; Brosque,Payne.
Vukovic; Grant,Wilkinson,Buijs,Zullo; Brillante,O'Neill; Holosko,Brosque,Ninkovic; Bobo.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2018 4:00 pm
CountArach

Corica has signalled he wants to play the same way as Arnold:

https://twitter.com/SydneyFC/status/996603861765795841?s=19

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2018 4:46 pm
Rory Bunk
Posted by: CountArach

Corica has signalled he wants to play the same way as Arnold:

https://twitter.com/SydneyFC/status/996603861765795841?s=19

Basically status quo until the players to implement it tail off too much or the opposition works us out.

Then Corica will have to earn his stripes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2018 5:20 pm
Blue Sky

I don't think we will play EXACTLY the same way. Managers express ideas differently and I'm not sure players will respond as well to a new, inexperienced senior manager to someone who has been there and done that with the squad two seasons in a row. We've seen it before at other clubs, even in this league, and that's the risk with this kind of appointment.

However, I also agree with some of the posters. We've invested a lot in Corica's budding coaching career and if we don't give him a chance at the top job now, we never will. And he's Sydney FC through and through. Lots of pluses overall.

Posted by: HybridBonevacia should be sponsored by Napisan with the amount of time he spends rolling around on the grass.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2018 5:47 pm
RedKat

I feel dirty saying this but hed be wise to follow how Muscat transitioned Victory after taking over from Ange. 

Of course Corica will say he will play the same. Would sound an idiot saying "stuff this style that won the club so many trophies Im playing aggressive two touch tika-taka and will sub players off if they take a third touch or shoot before we've hit 35 passes"

This is as good a time to appoint someone from within whos earned his stripes. Hes inheriting a team in a great condition on and off the park but expected to tail off. Either he keeps us going and hes a genius or the club inevitably tails off a bit but thats to be expected anyway. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2018 6:21 pm
Schoolboy Errors

Keen to see the Silver Fox in charge, he's earned the gig. Hopefully he puts some emphasis on bringing through youth players.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2018 7:42 pm WhatWouldTerryDo liked
drsimmo
Posted by: RedKat

I feel dirty saying this but hed be wise to follow how Muscat transitioned Victory after taking over from Ange. 

You mean by waiting forMehmet Durakovic and then Jim Magilton to fuck it up?

Edited: 3 months  ago

Posted by: Wands Australian politics at the moment has a horrible stench about it, a stench that started in the howard era and a stench that is set to continue for the foreseeable future, a cringe-inducing embarrassing all engulfing stench.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2018 11:22 pm
pietro

Really hope it works well for all concerned. The idea of Bimbi as head coach, Terry running the football back office really starts to make us look like a club with traditions and culture. Is the next step to transition Brosquie into taking on a player-coaching contract as a junior coach? And Ninko and/or Wilko to also move into the management/coaching ranks once they retire?

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 16, 2018 11:33 pm
shabby
Posted by: drsimmo
Posted by: RedKat

You mean by waiting forMehmet Durakovic and then Jim Magilton to fuck it up?

Ange came on after those two.

It went Durakovic -> Muscat -> Magilton -> Postecoglou -> Muscat for them.

And he was only at Melbourne for one season, in which they finished a pretty distant 3rd, but my recollection is that he got the club back on rails and Muscat largely followed the blueprint - even when it didn't suit him.

Edited: 3 months  ago
ReplyQuote
Posted : May 17, 2018 9:12 am
sydneyfc_FTT

I just have visions of Ninko walking up and down the touch line in a woollen cardigan and tie losing his rag at Chris Beath and telling our strikers to "shoot farken"...

SFCU Knockout Game - Round 15 Title Holder

Sydney FC - Olympiakos - Borussia Dortmund

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 17, 2018 10:23 am
eddie
Posted by: pietro

Really hope it works well for all concerned. The idea of Bimbi as head coach, Terry running the football back office really starts to make us look like a club with traditions and culture. Is the next step to transition Brosquie into taking on a player-coaching contract as a junior coach? And Ninko and/or Wilko to also move into the management/coaching ranks once they retire?

Are you saying the club should give jobs to all of our ex-captains? Maybe they could appoint them to a special panel and consult them on major decisions?

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 17, 2018 11:18 am hillbilly liked
CountArach

https://twitter.com/SydneyFC/status/998830823519404032?s=19

NO YOU'RE CRYING!

Such a great tribute to the man. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 23, 2018 8:02 am Schoolboy Errors liked
Paulska

With Zidane having left Real Madrid, surely the SFC board should be looking at getting him in here as an assistant manager. I feel that Corica and our coaching staff would be able to teach him heaps to help out with his career.....

SCCproud member of The Sydney Polish Knobs SPK

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 1, 2018 9:53 am
CountArach

Talay might be coming back as assistant. 

Getting the old band back together! 

https://twitter.com/Gatty54/status/1004943890556772353?s=19

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2018 2:48 pm
RedKat

Interesting one. Would think hed be looking for a more experienced assistant

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 8, 2018 6:45 pm
shabby

That would be so cool.

Surely Talay has enough experience for an assistant?

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 9, 2018 11:42 am
Page 10 / 11 Prev Next

Working

Please Login or Register