Forum

2018 Asian Champions League  

Page 1 / 3 Next

Clovis
Sydney FC Fanatic Registered

For those that are interested, the Asian Champions League 2018 is just a few months away.  Below is the timetable for the competition.  Sydney FC already qualifies for the Group Stage, which will be drawn sometime in December 2017 with Sydney’s first match happening between 12 and 14 February 2018.

There will be eight groups drawn from 32 teams with West Asian teams being allocated into Groups A to D and East Asian teams being allocated into Groups E to H.  The first 24 teams are mostly known, with the remaining 8 teams be determined by the winners of the playoff rounds. 

Below are the current known teams.  In Japan the Emperor’s Cup final will not be played until 1 January 2018 and there are still three rounds to go in the J League so two of the three Japanese teams are currently unknown.  Same deal with the Korean FA Cup in which the Final is played as a two-game home and away system with the last game happening on 3 December 2017. 

Rules of the competition

http://res.cloudinary.com/deltatreafcprod/image/upload/mwutetkskc0veuziqpff.pdf

Wiki Page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_AFC_Champions_League

Edited: 1 month  ago

Jean-Paul Sartre:  "In football, everything is complicated by the presence of the opposite team."

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 12, 2017 5:30 pm
testament
Sydney FC Obsessed Registered

Cheers for posting this, I'm really looking forward to a potential away trip depending on who we draw. Not long to find out now...would love either the Thai or Hong Kong team.

Edited: 3 months  ago

Former Besiktas teammate

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2017 12:55 pm
Clovis

Because of the way the teams are drawn it is almost impossible to not get a Japanese team.  No country can have two teams in the one group, there are four groups, Japan already has three in the group stage and there are Japanese teams in the playoffs for the fourth spot.  Japan is always a good value away trip. 

Also, any draw that allows you to spend time in the Hanoi French and Old Quarters is well worth it. 

Jean-Paul Sartre:  "In football, everything is complicated by the presence of the opposite team."

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2017 4:43 pm
CountArach

Thanks for that guide, really useful.

It's always fantastic to enter this competition. Just knowing that we actually get to play someone other than the 9 teams we play every other week is worth the price of admission alone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 24, 2017 10:48 pm
Clovis

In case anyone missed the club’s email, ACL Memberships are now available

ACL Membership

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 28, 2017 7:10 pm
Clovis

The ACL Champions League draw will be live at 7:30pm on Wed 6 December 2017

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 5, 2017 9:23 pm
cwaig
New Member Registered

The Wikipedia page for the group stage is showing that we will get Shanghai Shenhua to be played away on the 21st of Feb (must be the way the draw works that we know some of the teams spots before the actual draw).

The next team will either be Jeju united or Kashima Antlers and then the 4th spot will be taken by the winner of playoff 3.1 or 3.2 (if we get Jeju it will be 3.2 and if we get Kashima it will be 3.1) meaning that a Thai, Vietnamese, Hong Kong or Malaysian team are all a possibility if they can beat the Japanese or Korean team but that won't be known until the end of January.

Persoanally, i think myself and a few mates are going to head to Shanghai.

Of course, there is always the possibility that Wikipedia is wrong or that i am misinterpreting something.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2017 9:11 am
Clovis

Right up front I am going to have to apologise if any of the following is inaccurate.  I have been trying to decipher how the ACL draw works and it is a triumph of bureaucratic obscurity.  As near as I can tell the following is what will happen.

We have already been drawn in Group H, as have Shanghai Shenua, and it currently looks like this.

Position H3 will be drawn tonight and will either be Jeju United (South Korea) or Kashima Antlers (Japan).

Position H4 will be determined by the results of the playoff rounds to be played in January and will be filled by either the winner of Playoff East Group 1 or the winner of Playoff East Group 2.  Playoff Group 1 consists of Eastern Sports Club (Hong Kong), FLC Thanh Hóa (Vietnam) and Suwon Bluewings (South Korea), and Playoff Group 2 consists of Muangthong United (Thailand), Johor Darul Ta'zim (Malaysia) and the fourth placed Japanese club(who will not be known until after the Emperor’s Cup has been played).  Please note that you cannot have two countries in the one group so if Kashima Antlers are drawn for H3 we cannot have a second Japanese team in the group.  Ditto for the South Korean team. 

The current home and away schedule is as follows. We have the advantage of the first and last games being played at home.

Here is a full breakdown of all East and West Groups 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_AFC_Champions_League_group_stage

Edited: 3 months  ago

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2017 2:18 pm
Hybrid
SFCU forum Junkie Registered

FFS, people complain about the HAL being repetitive.... what a boring group.

May still do Kashima away, got unfinished business there.

Posted by: BlueRanger One thing thats easy to forget about Bobo's season is that he scored 15 goals.... while having to press for 70-80 minutes

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2017 9:07 pm
THFC Silver
Sydney FC Fan Registered

Was praying we’d get Cerezo in the group, had big plans. Not to be. Will definitely be doing Suwon away if they get through, as well as Kashima.

Agree with Hybrid - unfinished business there from 2011. The stadium is still just as fucking hard to get to as it was back then, so if we have decent numbers (15+), I would be keen to hire a coach from Tokyo to Kashima and back.

I'm not gonna fail ya

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2017 9:43 pm
sinjin.

If Brisbane get through their playoff they have a much easier group

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2017 9:44 pm
Moller
Posted by: Hybrid

FFS, people complain about the HAL being repetitive.... what a boring group.

May still do Kashima away, got unfinished business there.

Assuming Suwon win their playoff, it's literally the same group as 2011. What a shit comp.

Can't Smile Without You

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 6, 2017 9:57 pm shabby and suparockin liked
dots218

If i wasn't already going to Japan in two weeks i would try and do Kashima away. Still annoyed about the damn tsunami ruining the first one.

Suwon away maybe.

Go Banana!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 7, 2017 7:45 am
Clovis
Posted by: dots218

If i wasn't already going to Japan in two weeks i would try and do Kashima away. Still annoyed about the damn tsunami ruining the first one.

Not as annoyed as the locals I am guessing. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 7, 2017 10:59 am
Clovis

The Home and Away dates

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 7, 2017 11:01 am
Hybrid
Posted by: Clovis
Posted by: dots218

Not as annoyed as the locals I am guessing. 

We all dodged a bullet there. I was in Kyoto when it hit, but if it happened 4 days later we'd have been in Ibaraki and needing floaties.

That away date should coincide with cherry blossoms, woot.

Posted by: BlueRanger One thing thats easy to forget about Bobo's season is that he scored 15 goals.... while having to press for 70-80 minutes

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 7, 2017 2:04 pm
testament
Sydney FC Obsessed Registered

Is it official yet who our third opponent is?

Former Besiktas teammate

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 4, 2018 5:16 pm
Blue Sky

We won't know for sure until the end of this month, I'm afraid. The play-off "finals" are on January 30. The playoff concerning our group will be Suwon vs Eastern (Hong Kong) or FLC Thanh Hoa (Vietnam).

Edited: 2 months  ago

Posted by: HybridBonevacia should be sponsored by Napisan with the amount of time he spends rolling around on the grass.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 6, 2018 12:51 am
Sound_System
Sydney FC Acolyte Registered

I may have missed it, but does anyone know when Arnies cut off is to submit our ACL squad?

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 16, 2018 8:26 pm
Clovis
Posted by: Sound_System

I may have missed it, but does anyone know when Arnies cut off is to submit our ACL squad?

According to the regulations…

http://res.cloudinary.com/deltatreafcprod/image/upload/mwutetkskc0veuziqpff.pdf

…the rules regarding the registration of players is as follows;

1. Registration Windows

23.1. There are three (3) registration windows for the Competition. Each registration window shall open on a date as communicated by the AFC. The registration window shall close as follows:

23.1.1. Registration Window 1: for Participating Clubs entering at the Preliminary Stage or Playoff Stage, fifteen (15) days prior to their first Match in the Competition;

23.1.2. Registration Window 2: for Participating Clubs entering at the Group Stage, thirty (30) days prior to their first Match of the Group Stage;

23.1.3. Registration Window 3: for Participating Clubs who qualify for the Quarter Finals, fifteen (15) days prior to their first Match of the Quarter Finals.

Applying the Registration Windows 2 rule (30 days prior to the first game of the Group Stage) the first group stage game is on 12 February which means the registration deadline was last Saturday 13 January 2018.  The club should have already submitted the team for the group stage. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 17, 2018 11:34 am
Sound_System

Thanks!
So the decision will have already been made (prior to the '?' on Sebby). Very interesting nonetheless..

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 17, 2018 12:31 pm
Clovis

Thanks!
So the decision will have already been made (prior to the '?' on Sebby). Very interesting nonetheless..

It is fair to assume that Seb Ryall's decision to depart Sydney FC and the ACL registration deadline happened at about the same time and are in some way connected. 

Edited: 1 month  ago

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 17, 2018 4:33 pm
Viska
Posted by: Clovis

Thanks!

It is fair to assume that Seb Ryall's decision to depart Sydney FC and the ACL registration deadline happened at about the same time and are in some way connected. 

Well if he was left out of the AFC squad,WHY wouldnt he be disheartened and explore "other"options!

Cornflakes leaving Westys may have come into play?...but i definitely hope not.One snake is enough.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 19, 2018 2:44 pm
CountArach

Brisbane play Ceres-Negros FC (Philippines champions) tonight in the play-off first leg. Australian teams seem to have a pretty bad record in the play-off games, but you'd think Roar stand a decent shot of going through.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 23, 2018 7:50 pm
CountArach

Roar down 1-2. That's pretty dismal against a side still in the second week of pre-season. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 23, 2018 9:26 pm
Page 1 / 3 Next

Working

Please Login or Register